Monday, September 29, 2003

MORE ON CRUCIFIXION: Mark Goodacre mentions some other movies that get the crucifixion right and asks for others. I've already mentioned Stigmata, Conan the Barbarian, and The Last Temptation of Christ. Add to those The Body, which never shows the wrists of the skeleton, but twice the characters mention specifically that the nails went through the wrists. I've been meaning to post something on the last, which I watched a few weeks ago. Suffice to say that the book is silly, but a pretty good read if you can still find it - it's out of print. The movie is far lamer than the book and I wouldn't bother with it. One spoiler regarding the movie: All I will add to the movie review I linked to above is that I'm convinced that Father Lavelle (Derek Jacobi) threw himself over the parapet of the monastery to his death not because his faith had been destroyed by the discovery of "The Body," but because he realized that he had referred to the Book of "Revelations" in the previous scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment