Saturday, January 21, 2006

ARAMAIC AND HEBREW RESOURCES ONLINE: Over at Deinde, Danny Zacharias has posts here and here drawing attention to some good Hebrew and Aramaic resources online. These include the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon, which I've mentioned here before; the 1910 edition of Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar (downloadable in small PDF-file chunks); Jastrow's postbiblical Hebrew and Aramaic dictionary (Volume 1 here and Volume 2 here, downloadable in seven large PDF files); some Hebrew and Aramaic resources from Ken Penner, also in PDF format; and Peter Williams's Outline of Aramaic Grammar. The last is in a Word file with unnamed fonts. These don't work for me; maybe they are Unicode, which, alas are incompatible with Mac Word.

I'm teaching biblical Aramaic next semester and some of these resources will be helpful. If I get my act together, maybe I'll put some of my course materials online too.

UPDATE: Regarding that font, reader Tommy Wasserman e-mails to tell me that it's SPTiberian, which is indeed Mac compatible. My mistake; I forgot that I hadn't installed that font on my home machine. Sorry about that.

UPDATE (22 January): Christian Brady informs me that the 2004 version of Word for the Mac does handle Unicode. I've been neglecting the upgrade because I mean to invest in some new hardware soon, but this is good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment