Saturday, July 01, 2006

PROFILE OF AN ASPIRING PHILOLOGIST:
A babe in any language (Malay Mail)

[...]

Nadiah Ahmad Shukri, 18, grew up in Malaysia but spent two years in Italy – her mother’s homeland.

Already adept at five languages (Malay, English, French, Spanish and Italian), this multilingual lass is eager to learn more. A first-year language major at Monash University, Nadiah also admits to wanting to become an interior designer one day.

Why take up languages when you already know so many of them?

I really like languages. I grew up in a home where three languages were spoken. I want to do ancient languages and I’m interested in Hebrew and Greek. However, I really want to get involved in interior design. Although at first, I wasn’t so sure of what I wanted to do, so I thought I’d study languages.

[...]

Tell us a bit about the language course you’re undertaking.

I’m enjoying it very much! But not many people choose to do it, so there are only five students in my class!

[...]
Philology and interior decorating. Quite a creative combination. Good for her.

(Emphasis added.)

No comments:

Post a Comment