Friday, October 03, 2008

ARAMAIC WATCH: Actress Anne Bedian has taught herself Aramaic:
And you are a follower of Kabbalah. Were you born into this, from a Jewish heritage?

No, absolutely not! Kabbalah predates Judaism. Actually, it predates all religions. Judaism came out of Kabbalah. This is ancient, ancient wisdom. The major works of the Kabbalah are the books of the Zohar, which are over 4,000 years old. It's a commentary on the Old Testament. One of the things I really love about it is, because I'm such a language buff - I already have five languages down - is that Aramaic is one of the languages. It's such a powerful language, it's the language Jesus spoke. So, I taught myself to read Aramaic, so I can read the Zohar out loud.
Okay, the information about the Kabbalah and the Zohar is wildly wrong (the Zohar was written in the late thirteenth century). She appears to have picked up this nonsense from the Kabbalah Centres. But I still give her points for learning some Aramaic.