Sunday, August 06, 2017

Nineteenth-century correspondence on the LXX

WILLIAM ROSS has been at the Cambridge University Library reading other people's mail. In two blog posts he shares some of what he's found:

SOME LETTERS OF H. B. SWETE – PART I
Although you may think reading hundred year-old mail to learn more about a failed project is bizarre, the fact is that the correspondence I’ve been sorting through is over two thousand years more recent than the Egyptian personal correspondences I typically mull through in papyri.

But I digress. The point is, I haven’t yet found anything more about this delicious hint of a Cambridge Lexicon of the Septuagint that never was. However, I have found some other fascinating items, which I’d like to share here in a few posts.
SOME LETTERS OF H. B. SWETE – PART II
I’ve been giving in to the temptation somewhat recently as I’ve been reading through most of Swete’s mail and wandering off into interesting subjects not directly relevant to what I’m actually looking for. Oh well.
There's more coming and I look forward to it. But I also hope William keeps focus on his doctoral dissertation!

Regular PaleoJudaica readers will recall Williams past interviews with Septuagint scholars posted on his Septuagint & C. Blog. For notice of these, start here and follow the links.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.